Wednesday, January 16, 2008

1-15-08 3-1 Loss to Montreal -- Not exactly a Surprise



The Blog Box was sadly sparse tonight, and at first I was worried that I was going to be all alone at the long table in front of the big blue sign. But by the time I made my way there during the National Anthem, I was very happy to see Gaspo live blogging away. Check it out (I have to also because I didn't look over his shoulder) http://stilldrivin.blogspot.com/ I was in the mood to travel light tonight so I only brought my camera and my notebook -- neither of which I used very much. (I had to almost beg Michael S. (islesblogger.com) to come and join us, which he did after the second period.)

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed being back at the Coliseum, perhaps it was a good thing the Islanders were so flat in the first period. I didn't even notice there was a hockey game going on since everything and anything seemed far more interesting than what was happening on the ice.
As tonight's game was being broadcast on VS, things just seemed a little different closer to the ice. There were more "suits" wandering around than normal. It just seemed "busier." But what wasn't "busier" were the food courts that seem to have been limited by SMG once again. There was no Sushi stand, much to every one's dismay, and not separate Nacho stand, much to Gaspo's dismay.

At the start of the game, the BlogFather stopped by to chat and asked what my prediction was for the outcome of the game. "They're tired, they'll lose. They'll try, but they'll lose." An educated guess perhaps? That road trip couldn't have been easy to bounce back from.

When the Islanders finally realized they were playing the game, it was the middle of the second period. Steve Mears reiterated that fact to me on my drive home while I listened to the end of his post-game report. It was as if a light bulb went off and they all started to skate as if it were one of those electronic hockey games. You could almost hear the buzzing of the puck as it hugged the boards on end and whipped around. It was just strange. But then, the entire night was just a little odd.

The highlight for me of Ted's press conference was a wire stretched accross the doorway like a trip-wire. I walked in first and immediately heard "Watch the wire!!" I stopped dead in my tracks, as it would absolutely been ME who went face first into the carpet over the wire. A few more people were warned as they walked in. A few of them stepped on it to try to bring it closer to the floor, a few just walked over it. But it wasn't until Michael S. (and now we know WHY he goes by teknics on our board) walked over to the wire and placed the rubber mat on top of it that the problem was finally SOLVED!! Also rare was that Deb Kaufman was in this press conference and not one alone in the hallway. I guess the VS guys stole her thunder. But she ruled THIS room!

So, we'll see what tomorrow brings. The Islanders have owned the Devils this season, but they are currently on a hot streak. The odds are they may break the trend -- either team's trend that is. Someone will win, someone will lose, a trend will be broken. It's up to fate, and of course, one Rick DiPietro.

Night all

No comments: