Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Full Moon over Uniondale


Tiger Track Tom (www.thetigertrack.com) called it Bizarro World. It certainly was! Something had shifted in the space time continuum that caused a strange rift. Too bad it couldn’t also cause the Islanders leaving the Ice with both points.
As it was an afternoon game, I had to play hooky for hockey. Ok, I wanted to, and I wanted to take my daughter and her friends out for the day to enjoy themselves and try to suck a … um… develop a new Islander fan in the process. My daughter’s friend Kat had never been to a hockey game before, and she was glad to go along for the ride, asking technical questions all the while we were driving to pick up their other friend Amanda. As the eldest daughter of a dreaded Ranger fan, I knew that she would probably be wearing a Ranger jersey. She was and I let her in the car anyway.

Considering we were all warned about the increased security at the Coliseum today because of Colin Powell’s visit, I really didn’t see any more security than usual. I guess that means they were just stealth. Good job guys. Also a good job was the $26,000 the Islanders donated to local youth hockey from today’s game. You can’t say this club doesn’t do everything possible for the community.

The on ice ceremony to start the game was very nice. The Chinese national anthem, the kids from the Lighthouse cup teams gathered for the ceremonial puck drop, the unfurling of a giant American flag. Despite Chris Botta’s endless pacing in the tunnel, it was all orchestrated so well, and went off with only the slightest wrinkle. Powell tripped on the carpet on the ice. He made light of it, and went on with the rest of the presentation.

Kat said she wanted to see a fight, but when Jackman tangled with Gleason; she was on the concourse and didn’t see it. It was the only one of the game. Earlier I thought it was going to be Rod Brind’amour and Sutton. They were yapping and yapping at each other, but Brinda’mour has too much time in the NHL to be coaxed by the likes of Sutton. I swear, I think he’s a robot.
I audibly chided Sean, “Any game now sweetheart!” And he must have heard me. He took a shot that Ward grabbed out of the air as if it was a joke. The Event Summary on NHL.com doesn’t show any shots on goal for Sean. But I saw one. I swear.

Ok, let me get into what made the day “Bizarro World.” First, it was visitor day at the Blog Box. It started with an introduction of a co-workers family who are season ticket holders right above the Blog Box. Then it was camera men from Sinovision followed by Terry Goldstein, Director of Retail Operations. A little while later Frank Pasquale (who coached the Suffolk team to a victory in the final!) stopped by to say hello. I’ve known Frank for more than 15 years now. I’d like to say this to him…. Would you just AGE already! He hasn’t changed a bit in that entire time, and that is just VERY annoying! As soon as he left, Islesblogger.com, Michael S. brought his lovely fiancĂ©e around for introductions. During intermission, Gaspo (http://stilldrivin.blogspot.com/) stopped by with his son who was desperate to find Sparky. And finally, the last visitor to the Blog Box table didn’t say a word, but stood at the end of the table in his long black coat and black leather gloves, starring at the ice. He had a pass around his neck, but anyone that wears leather gloves INSIDE a building, no matter how cold, scares the death out of me. I’m glad he was on the other side of Okposo Net Ken (http://okposo.blogspot.com/) instead of me.

Then there was Andy Hilbert. First I’d like to tell you that I called Hilbert getting a goal today after about two minutes of the first period. He was just diving and swimming on the ice and doing everything and anything to keep the puck in play. It paid off for him and almost paid off more than once. He had six shots on goal and a lot of “ice” time, flat on his stomach. There was Blake Comeau who seemed to think he was Sidney Crosby for a day. The words that flew around the Blog Box were calm, confident, composed. He was just playing outside his head, and it was beautiful.

There was also an odd game of ice bowling that I think started the downward spiral toward the loss. With about 4:40 left of the second there was a flurry of activity with Bruno, Hilbert, Satan, Bergeron and I think Comrie on the ice. It all started with a whip by Bergeron toward the net and then Bruno was knocked down and his helmet came off. To keep action in the Carolina zone, he had to shoot, which he did, over and over and over. Every shot went off a Carolina leg and Andy was again swimming on the ice trying to direct the puck. It was just…. Odd.

Then there were the calls, the lack thereof, and the ones that just made you cringe. There was no consistency, and as Ted said in the press room, it was just “frustrating.” Well, every loss is, especially when you’re up 2 - 0 in the second and then don’t come home with the prize. “I think we played well enough to win.” Well, not quite Ted. But there’s always tomorrow.

While I was in the press room, I could feel my phone buzzing wildly in my purse. Just as I had told my daughter NOT to call me unless there was a real problem, there it went. I’m smart now, it’s only on vibrate and if it does go off in the room, you can’t hear the Goo Goo Dolls blaring from my pocket. I was worried about the girls waiting in the arena so I didn’t do the locker room post game, I bolted through the tunnel past Garth Snow. Security was now corralling everyone to the penalty box side of the arena in order to wait for the Lighhouse Cup finals which were to start at 5 pm. I found my daughter and her friends as we were three rows from the glass in section 105. I cannot believe how much spilled beer and garbage there was left in the 100s. We had to move twice because it was just too disgusting.

Tom and Michael joined me to watch some of the Nassau/Suffolk finals after they left the locker room. Steve Mears and Chris King were leaving the arena and I yelled out a Happy Birthday to our “radio guy.” Had I known Steve, I would have baked you cookies too!

So here we all were, waiting and waiting for a game that was supposed to start at 5 pm. It was now about 5:28 and the ceremony finally began. I completely understand the delay as the Islander game went into overtime, albeit BRIEF. But what I don’t understand is why in heaven’s name Colleen McGrath was trying to do an American Idol impersonation with her embellished, prolonged, PAINFUL rendition of the Star Spangled Banner! These are HIGH SCHOOL kids! They are itching to get on to that ice! You don’t need to take five full minutes to sing in modulation. I’m sorry, it may have been disrespectful to our anthem, but I couldn’t help but laugh, I tried to stifle them, but it was just horrible.
Woo hoo… there was also a Jon Sim sighting as he dropped the first puck and didn’t seem to be limping as much. He wasn’t smiling as much either. But I haven’t seen that man smile since September.

The turnout for the game was much better than I expected. The entire penalty box side of the coliseum was packed. This had to be a wonderful day for these young players. Who knows who may end up in the NHL draft one day.

As we left the barn at a little after 6 pm, there it was, the answer to the madness of the day: The full moon.
Congratulations Suffolk County All Stars on your win! Treasure it.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm really glad I got to meet you today!

Anonymous said...

i remember when i used to get cookies.... :-(