Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Tale of the Pads -- Or -- The Single Minded Media

This is definitely not going to win me any friends in the press room, but I can’t help it. Last night’s press conference really had me surprised at the way things happen, so much so that a few of us began to snicker at the absurdity.

The PADS! The Pads! What about Ricky’s PADS????? It started in Ted’s interview. He answered as best he could, and was asked again. He answered again. Once more for effect. He answered that Garth would be calling the league, attempting to get the “real reporters” to move onto another question. The problem was this particular group didn’t seem to have any other questions. Want to know why? Because Greg Logan wasn’t there to lead the charge. There was actually dead silence for more than a few seconds in between Ted’s “Pad” answers. It was at that point that I realized what an effect our beat reporter had in that press room. HE asks the important questions, everyone else just takes notes or shoves their recorders or mics into the direction the words are coming from. And all this happens under the quiet and watchful eyes of Chris Botta who keeps this entire media circus moving from one ring to the next. But without Logan the circus seems to be out of step.

Granted, this “pad” controversy could have serious ramifications for the upcoming road trip, but I couldn’t help but feel this was a pack of sheep looking for a border collie, and he just wasn’t there. The sheep were herded into the locker room to talk to the players. I snuck behind them and stood in the back, a place I have become quite comfortable with. I keep my mouth shut and my eyes open.

Shakey was still loading equipment into bags as Bill Guerin stepped into the limelight. “What about the PADS??? Did you know about the Pads? You’re the Captain, did they tell you about the pads???” I loved his answer. “I’m the captain, they tell me what time the bus is, that‘s it..”
Shakey was unusually quiet in his tasks. This is a man who generally makes the reporters job difficult in the locker room by going about his business and conversations as if they aren’t there. One reporter tapped him “If there wasn’t a gag order, I could ask YOU about the pads.” Shakey just shook his head.

Ricky was brought into the room and again asked the pertinent “Pad” questions. He answered far better than anyone else, after all… they’re HIS pads. They then moved onto how he felt after coming back from the knee problem. Cool! A different question! There are so few of them. Had I had the nerve to pipe up from the back of the room, I would have asked something like “With the extensive road trip ahead of you, do you ever wake up and wonder where the hell you are?” “Does anyone have any intentions of going skiing while they’re in Canada?” Things like that. But I don’t say anything, I just watch everyone else.

Next up, Mike Sillinger who had three points in this game and is one heck of an interview. His second question: “What did you think at the end of the first when Ricky changed his pads?” Mike coldly looked at the reporter, “I didn’t even notice. He changed his pads? “ Mind you, the look in Sillinger’s eyes was not exactly pleasant. He wasn’t rude or mean or angry, but stern. The reporter explained the league situation. “Oh yeah? News to me. I’m not a goalie. I don’t care. Ask him about it.” He smiled at the other reporters and lightened the mood.
Midway through Sillinger’s interview, a secret alarm must have gone off that only the “real reporters” could hear because all at once, half of them left the room in formation. My blog box buddies and I obviously don’t have the mechanism to hear it, we stayed behind until the few that were left were done with Sillinger. As the camera lights were turned off and everyone left, we couldn’t help but snicker at what had transpired. The most informative part of these evenings, for me, is the few minutes after where we huddle in the hallway by the stairs and discuss what just happened.

We bundled up and headed out into the frigid air, still yapping and laughing and exchanging thoughts. This is going to be a tough trip if Ricky has to miss two games. It will be a tough trip no matter what. Good luck gentlemen. We’ll keep the light on for you.
Be sure to check out the other blog boxers who were there last night:

http://greetingsfromislandercountry.blogspot.com/ Jim's blog.

http://voice.blogspot.com/ My favorite adversary, Frank.

and the man who seems to have a winning touch. As soon as he arrives at the Blog Box, the Islanders score. Michael Schuerlein's blog with photos!
http://www.islesblogger.com/

2 comments:

James Mirtle said...

The DiPietro business with his pads is big news, as the league doesn't intervene like that very often. I imagine all the questions were related to them because a) that was the story assigned, and b) the reporters were on deadline with limited time to address more than one issue.

I'm afraid I didn't know any of the details of Saturday's game, but you better believe the pad issue made news in Toronto (and elsewhere). Clamping down on goaltenders' equipment is one of the ways many are advocating the league can increase scoring.

Anonymous said...

the white pads are ugly, he should stick with the colorful ones