Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I thought I was better....


I wasn't.
I went to the game last night because I thought I was sufficiently over whatever superbug I contracted. That was a mistake, and I'm paying for it now. I had no voice, but there was nothing to scream or cheer about, so it didn't matter. I wanted to go because it was an important game. It's not often you see a major star make his return along with the NHLs most controversial player. I should have stayed home and taken care of myself.

I'm going to make this short because I can hardly keep my head up, and also because in a rush to leave work as my fever climbed today, I left my notebook on my desk, so I don't have my notes.

1) How can JS Giguere, such a big man, make himself so small in the net?


2) I loved DiPietro whacking Bertuzzi in the helmet when he was crowding the crease. That was the only thing I loved about last night's game.

3) Selanne looked good.


4) Why was Kip Brennan sent to go put his suit on when he could have been a force on the ice?

5) Why does Bergenheim keep getting so few minutes, but praised in the press room?

6) There was only one scuffle. One of the Niedermayer's and Gervais exchanged slaps. It was like watching an accountant and the pizza delivery boy have a slap fest. It was pointless.


7) Miro hit the boards hard, left being helped and then came back when he shouldn't have. Bad move on everyone's part.


8) Three words I have yet to hear from an Islanders Commentator: "Great positioning by......"


9) Steve Mears was entertaining a group of kids. He looked like a student teacher.


10) Shakey hates Islesblogger.com Mike (he kept hitting him witht he gear bags getting by)


11) It's Ash Wednesday, I think Ted should opt for an exorcism, or at least get a medicine man or something that can help this team.


12) There are no excuses, but we heard plenty of them in the press room. They should be on a tape loop.

There are no only 13 home games left before the end of the regular season. I have a feeling we are not going to be seeing a post season this year. If I can get better, I have intention of seeing as many games as possible, even if they are painful. I'm not jumping ship or threatening bodily harm. I've come to accept whatever is... is. I'll follow the Stanley Cup race no matter who ends up contending. The season will end way too fast for me, and I'll muddle through July and August counting the days till the season starts again.

We may have a few more memorable games, and we may not. But I'll be there for them.

As an aside, how many people know that CJ Papa works for TV55? So after he does his in arena interviews and special features during Islander games, he heads to the TV55 studios to do the 11 pm news. I had no idea, but at least now I know where to turn for better sports coverage of the team, even if they don't deserve it. Of course he covers the other major sports too, but I'm in hockey mode, so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get some rest, i hope you feel better.

Anonymous said...

awww-- now i feel bad for the "your late" comment

want me to bring you some soup-- or a hot toddy....

feel better and rest- we will all be here when you get better...

Anonymous said...

Satan is now hurt for an unknown time that adds him to the list with Sillinger...can the Isles do the right thing and start being sellers right now before it is too late players like Stamkos..are what the islanders should be thinking of ..it is time to re-build this once great frachise back to what it should be...they should leave nilson and tambalini up with the team and please please get Kyle up here ..why did they pull him out of Minn. if they weren't going to use him it makes me sick to think they would hold him back so he doesn't get the 10 games required for him to get a year in..when the team needs him now!!!!trade geurin..if not for that blind pass he made in the canadiens game alone that caused Plekanic to score a shorty ..trade Berrard..trade all of them and rebuild now!!!