Friday, February 1, 2008

Pride & Passion: Where did it go?

In 1996, Chris Botta and Stan Fischler wrote a book on 25 years of the NY Islanders with that title. Twelve years later, I’m finding it difficult to see either from the current team on the ice. I stayed away from the computer last night when I returned home from the game. I knew the NYIC message board would be overflowing with game day rants and disappointments. This morning, when I read them, I was right.
Just as last night’s crowd left the building grumbling and booing, so did the television viewing audience. Even more surprising, so did the media in Press Room 6. I have never heard comments such as those uttered last night. Everyone usually waits in stoic silence that is only broken by my stifled giggles from the back of the room. The on ice performance was so dismal, no one could contain themselves. It was “shock and awe” of the boring kind.
As I was down at the ice watching pre-game warm-ups, which I haven’t done in weeks, I decided to just watch their feet. How they skated rather than their interaction with each other or the opposing team. I noticed how elegantly Bergeron glides when he skates backwards. If not for that rocket shot of his, he could probably join Smuckers Stars on Ice. In contrast, Witt skates on the outside edges of his feet and looks almost clumsy. Bergie, although also graceful, skates harder as if grinding into the ice. I finally now understand what my blog box buddies keep yelling about Comrie and “toe drag. “ I get it now guys.
During the NHL Live broadcast, that Bill Jaffe did an amazing job co-hosting, I heard talk of Anze Kopitar and his skills. I thought, “Wow! This is one to watch tonight. “I didn’t even notice him except for the fact that he has that same tinted “rock star” shield that Ovechkin wears. Every time I saw that #11 out on the ice, I watched, and waited but personally I saw no signs of brilliance. But then again, there were no sparkle to this game from either bench.
Certainly, there were brief, fleeting sparks of life during a rather lack-luster game. I’ll say I’ve never seen Berard skate that fast, or expect him to actually score. I commented to Tom Liodice, “Wow! Who lit a fire under his butt tonight?” But that fire was quickly smothered by a constant parade to the box. SIX penalties! Six times Dubie was tested unnecessarily. Five of them, he pulled through. The fact that the wining goal came on a Power Play from a “Too many men” penalty just made me sick. Ok. Maybe I was already beginning to feel the effects of a cold I seem to have woken up with, but I was sick non-the-less.
Aaron Johnson, who was also trying to skate as fast as possible, had only 4:40 of ice time. Perhaps he could have made a difference if he had been given the opportunity of more shifts. Or perhaps not. Bruno, to me, looked as if he could do nothing right and I’m wondering if he is the one to miss Campoli most of all. Comeau attempted to liven things up here and there by showing his skill, and even mixed it up behind the net with Matt Molson (I’m guessing because Jackman decided to take the night off from that part of his assignment), but even Blake’s talents couldn’t carry the momentum.
Too many adjectives are appropriate, and all of which you have read in today’s papers. Suffice it to say that Ted and Garth have their work cut out for them at this trade deadline. Something needs to give, and fast. Decisions, decisions, decisions. All I know is that Garth’s “fuzzy math” from the beginning of the season regarding scoring potential of this current roster was sadly overstated.
Back to the drawing board Garth. There may still be time if you hurry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dee, your comment about Bruno got me thinkging. He has played with Campoli most of the season, then he filled in exceptionally well when paired with Witt when Marti went down. Let me state I LOVE Bruno. I think he is a good young player on this team. But I do notice that when he is paired with Bergeron, it looks like he tries to cover for Bergeron's mistakes. As a matter of fact anyone paired with Bergeron looks AWFUL! They all look like they are trying to do their job and cover up for his mistakes as well. That must be really tough. I noticed this when Campy was paired with Bergeron also. Instead of playing their own D assignment, they spend all their time covering up for Bergeron's lack of skill. JMO.