Sunday, March 2, 2008

3-1-08 Fan Appreciation Day


This is a weekend that people have looked forward to since the season started. There is so much going on to celebrate the “Core of Four” that I can’t even keep up. Every day there was a new email about another event all surrounding this celebration of the Stanley cup dynasty and it’s players. Many of the events have been staged for charity, but most are to give the dynasty die-hards a chance to relieve the magic and get close to their fabled heroes. I can’t even imagine how hard the Islander staff has had to work to put all of this together. It’s been a whirlwind so far, and there’s another whole day of it. It’s a shame the team on the ice couldn’t show their appreciation by finding a way to win Saturday’s game. I hope they can find a way to beat the Panthers on Sunday.
Game day started out a little tense for me because I was running so late, so by the time I reached the Coliseum, the team was just about on the ice for warm ups. I met up with some of the NYIC crew to watch and take photos by the glass, and noticed something I didn’t expect. Out on the ice was a number I didn’t recognize, #72. And then I read the back of the jersey. “HEY! There’s Colliton!” The Islanders brought him up from Bridgeport just a few hours before as Nielsen will be out a few weeks with a shoulder injury. I was surprised because we were just talking about him at a lovely soiree at Blogger extraordinaire B.D.’s house on Friday evening. So, maybe I’m not as foolish as I think I am when it comes to this team. So there he was out on the ice with the other Bridgeport kids. Also out on the ice for the first time in weeks was Brendon Witt. I did notice he was a little slower than usual, but it was good to see him non-the-less.
As they sang the Star Spangled Banner, I couldn’t help but think about DannyBInAfganistan from the NYIC board. I haven’t heard from him in weeks so I said a silent prayer for his safety.
It would have been rich if I could have taken a photo of the ceremonial puck drop, but as usual, there was a bunch of people milling around in the seats in front of our table. Let me give you some advice people… If your tickets are NOT for the seats you are trying to sit in, don’t look at the usher as if he has two heads. Just shut up and move!
I will say that I was very happy with Bergie’s play today, in a game that was lack-luster to say the least. He is working very well with Satan and Park. He had some beautiful chances, none of which went in. There were also some fierce optical illusions that kept me jumping out of me seat thinking goals were being scored, but all but Billy Guerin’s power play goal belonged to their opponent this afternoon.
I did enjoy watching Ricky poke at Daniel Briere for getting in his crease. I didn’t enjoy the two bus loads of Flyer fans in section 337. Ok, so I was just jealous that they managed to out chant the Islander fans over and over again.
Additionally notable was Davison who mixed it up a little with Cote against the boards, for which they both received five for fighting, but didn’t break into song. He also wasn’t afraid to help his team mates when ever they needed it.
Comeau had some beautiful shots on goal, but each one was gloved down by Biron. One of those shots knocked him on his butt.
Awesome Andy did everything he could today. He had some pretty amazing shifts, and I’m sure he came away with some pretty amazing bruises today.
Added to these GOOD points for the day was Islesblogger.com was the winner of the 50/50 raffle.
These WERE the only good points today. The rest of the game was basically HORRIBLE. Ricky made me hold my breath more than once during today’s game. Most notably when he came out to play the puck when Davison was right there . They ended up just inches apart from each other, and Davison wasn’t quite sure what he should do. Rick also skated toward the bench with the puck at the 2 minute mark of the 3rd trying to get off the ice for an extra skater. Every Islander fan in the arena screeched wondering what he was doing playing the puck so far from the net. He finally passed the puck and jumped up into the bench.
But the final score was a disappointing 4 -1 in the Flyers favor. Their two busloads of fans could go home happy. The Islander faithful existed shaking their heads. So for all the fan appreciation give-aways today, and all the good will bestowed on the crowd by the Islanders Alumni, and the presence of the cup in the building, it couldn’t change the fact that the game itself was less than desirable.
I have always repeated Barry Melrose’s saying of “Sometimes WILL beats SKILL.” Once down in the press room, Ted mentioned the Islanders WILL, which was non-existent. The power play is just awful and needs to be revamped immediately, and everyone knows it. Especially the team.
It’s late, I’m tired. I’ll go through the press conference tomorrow.

No comments: