Thursday, June 19, 2008

'Twas the Night Before Draft Day 2008


This is the first NHL Draft Day that I'm actually looking forward to, and all for personal reasons. Sure, sure, the June NHL event gives us puck junkies something relatively small to look forward to along with beaches and bar-b-ques. But I never really paid that much attention to it before. Ok, yes, the Sidney Crosby sweepstakes made me sit up and take notice. But other than that, nothing. No recollections of anything even remotely draft related.


But as I sit here polishing my nails bright orange to match my shoes for tomorrow, I have to admit I have butterflies. Maybe not the size of Mothra as my blog box buddies Mike and Tom have as they try to get some sleep before the early flight out tomorrow to Ottawa, but I've got little half-dollar size butterflies inside me.


Am I worried about what Garth Snow will do with our coveted #5 draft pick? Is that what has me jumpy? Um, No. Although, Note to Garth: Please make us proud. That's all I ask. Pull a controversial rabbit out of your hat and I don't even want to read the headlines on Saturday morning in the trades.


Is the whole Friday night in June back at the Coliseum making me giddy with anticipation? Not quite. I'm going to be very happy to see some of my friends, but that's not what's making my palms sweat.


Nope. Two words have me stuttering: John Buccigross. I know. He's just another sports guy who you either love or hate. But in the last five years, I've come to really appreciate his writing style, his humor and his insight. I'm sure he'll enjoy those kind words when I tell him I've never actually SEEN him on ESPN. Nope. To me he's not an on-air personality, he's just another writer.


Writing is such a solitary task. You find yourself secluded so often, locked away from the rest of the world. Just you, your computer and your thoughts. But I always found it fascinating that if I would sit at the table late on a Saturday night, waiting for Big Angry Man to return from a fire call, reading one of Bucci's ESPN entries, I'd be compelled to email him. Heck, he puts his email address at the bottom of every column. I'd dash out a quick email telling him how I felt about the entry and within a few minutes, "You've Got Mail" would announce a response. I'd melt.


In five years, he's never ignored a note from me. To me, that means everything. In this day and age of BlackBerry immediacy, I am seriously disappointed when one of my notes of encouragement and gratitude go unanswered. Luckily, those who do not respond are few and far between. (Some who DON'T respond to me are actually far closer in my cosmic circle!)


Most of the time I forget that email goes straight to that little mobile device, and I'm stunned with the quickness of the response. I've had on air personalities respond during commercial breaks as I'm watching them. That sort of immediacy is completely unnecessary, and somewhat shocking. But, that's the way they are. Gracious, kind and accomodating.


So tomorrow night I will finally get to actually meet one of my media pen-pals. I just hope I don't puke on my shoes.


I'd like to also send out my best regards and a "thank you" to Chris Botta for his latest blog entry about his past draft day recollections. I had a little pointed discussion on Tuesday about Sean Bergenheim being forgotten as one of the Islanders first rounders, but CB has a steel vault of a memory and a flair for storytelling that captures his audience and makes them wish he'd keep talking. His entries are always entertaining, always insightful and sometimes heartbreaking. His latest falls into all three categories.


It's late. I should get some rest. Tomorrow's a big day and I'm typing hoping I don't chip the polish, because truthfully... I usually never paint my nails. But hey... It's a BIG day tomorrow!!

No comments: