Monday, July 14, 2008

Goodbye Teddy 7-14-05


11:43 pm: Okay, everyone backed off the ledge now? The message boards are buzzing and all my Blog Box buddies have weighed in. We certainly have differences of opinion. But that's what makes us a good group.
I guess I should say some parting words before heading off to be... now that I watched every news show to see how they'd cover the subject. Simple. The big 3 took the first two lines of Corey Witt's press release and only CJ Papa had more lines about it. Guess it was by design to announce it today with so much All-Star hoopla taking up editorial space. Who knows.
I'll miss Ted's ability to go from stone cold in front of the cameras to warm and smiling in a matter of seconds. I'll miss the brilliant assortment of ties that look like my grandmother's wallpaper. I'll miss that little boy look he could have, even at 50, like when I caught him at Ice works smoking behind my car. He is easy to talk to and very accessible. He has a good heart, but maybe a thick skull. I personally thought he was sometimes "out of the loop" by design, or he was an excellent actor. Maybe just not academy award caliber to make it seem as if he could manage another year coaching under conditions he wasn't happy with.
Let's not play the blame game. Let's just move forward. We have prospects at camp to take a look at and coaching possibilities to ponder. It's never dull in Islander Country.
3:30 pm:
I have to make this quick, so please excuse the typos.
Just got back from the barn where Garth Snow was giving his statement to the press regarding this morning's events.

He was perfectly fine. I, on the other hand, was a complete and total mess. Not because of the situation. Actually, I am not surprised nor dismayed with the release of Ted Nolan as head coach. I was a mess because I usually get my "unique perspective" from standing behind others who are asking questions and taking notes and reading body language.

I was ambushed. First I was told it would be one-on-one (which was FINE by me) but then I was plopped at a conference table with a front row seat. (No WONDER Garth doesn't like cameras!) If not for Inside Hockey's Brad Kurtzberg, I don't know what I would have done. Probably hide in a closet, but enough about me.

Okay people... everyone relax. Yes, we all know there has been tension for months, and while some have thought it was just journalists trying to stir up stories, this was never the case. There was a serious difference of direction and no compromise could be found. Although this may be a sad day for some in Islander Country, it should not be looked at as devastating.

The search for a new coach could take ".... two days or two weeks. It WILL BE the right coach for this team." And Garth is actually looking forward to the process.

Of course the timing may be odd with prospect camp starting today. But what the heck. It's only prospect camp and there are plenty of coaches there to handle the work that was scheduled to be done. This in no way hinders the schedule.

Actually... if I recall... if you check my posts from way back the last two prospect camps, Ted actually spent quite a bit of time sitting on the bleachers and talking with others. So, the current assistants and the Bridgeport coaches will all be there to evaluate the prospects and keep detailed accounts. Besides, this is supposed to be a fun thing any way.

As I said, Garth is comfortable with this. I'm surprised that the statement release came as early today as it did. But that leads me to believe that communication had been going on all along and not getting anywhere. (which is basically what I said after the last two open houses. but does anyone listen to me? No.)

There are many GOOD NHL coaches out there looking for work. Garth did mention he will be looking for 'communication skills.' As hard as it is for me to say this, but that is certainly something that Ted, while a fine human being, lacked considerably.

More later. The story will be everywhere I'm sure. And Bill Jaffe was even there so perhaps we can get his take on this as well.

So, every one take a deep breath and relax. There were no circus tents in the parking lot when I left. We're still cool and I really, really REALLY have to get back to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apperciate the insight, this is all a bit too hard to digest at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Dee

Jimmy14