Friday, July 11, 2008

R.O.C.K. IN THE USA 7-10-09



Sitting in the truck in the lot at Jones Beach, enjoying shrimp cocktail and wine with Big Angry Man last night, I asked him "So, how exactly would you classify John Mellencamp's music?"


He thought for a moment. "Rock. Just basic.... Rock."

I'd call it Americana Rock. The sound is certainly unique to HIM. Name me another band that travels with a Fiddle and an Accordion and isn't playing Polka music.


The band was amazingly tight and the sound system was even better than listening to his CDs with BOSE headphones. Even when he just stood on stage alone with his acoustic guitar, it was perfect! BRAVE and perfect.
"It's hard to rock an accordion." But they did it, effortlessly as they played most of my old favorites: Paper in Fire, Scarecrow, Human Wheel and many others. At first, we didn't think he was going to have any personality on stage as he went through four opening songs without addressing the audience. That all changed as he took the stage alone.


At 55, Johnny boy can certainly still rock and get people on their feet. His voice hasn't changed one bit, but his lyrics have. That's fine for me. I can relate. So could everyone else that was there.


If you missed it, you missed an amazing show. But his 23rd album, Life, Death, Love and Freedom is out now. I'd recommend it.

There were only two drawbacks to the show last night. For some reason the big screens on the Nikon towers were dark. I was exceptionally lucky to be center stage Section 7L, but I missed the close ups on the screens.


They also placed entry cards to win $3000 in merchandise at Best Buy at each seat. You were supposed to bring them to ANY Merchandise stand at the arena. When I tried, I received a very COLD "They didn't make any deal with us. I have no idea about it." and a hand gesture to 'move along.'


Needless to say, I wasn't happy.

Nor was B.A.M. who stood on line for 15 minutes trying to get a coffee as the 15-year-olds behind the counters were clueless. Java Junkie that I am, I continued to wait and shared my Starbucks with him back at the seats.

So that was my night.. How was yours???

No comments: