Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Scott Gordon Teaching On Ice - 9-17-08



Okay, I'm a bad girl. I'm taking a few hours for mental health reasons from work. I'm here at IceWorks watching Scott Gordon in action for the first time. I must say...

I'M DAMN IMPRESSED!!!

Oh look! REAL DRILLS!! Real instruction and a whistle that doesn't stop. They huddle, they're told what to do, they get a little confused, but that's okay. They're young. He's patient. He tells them again. He stops them, tells them what they did wrong and they go back at it.

No. There is no fatherly yelling. There is coaching. Which is nice to see. The other coaches haven't said boo yet. They're all just hanging back, waiting. These are ALL he coaches including Bryan Trottier and Ken Morrow as well as the coaching staff from the Sound Tigers.

Since there are no names on the back of the jerseys, (something Gordon wishes to change) I can only assume that the littlest kid in blue is LI native Vlad Nikiforov. I still can't say his name. He looks like he's 12. The same way Bruno (who just passed me) looked when he first came to prospect camp. Like a boy among men. And we know how he turned out. Little Niki is fast, a little confused, but fast.

So... I did get one, maybe two pieces of new info from m good friend Josh Bernstein.

Check out the NEW ITV portal. It's NHL.com TV portal, and it's awesome. There will be some great new content coming up that will entertain and impress all us die hard fans.

Also, check out CBS News for the "Tunnel to Towers" Run on (I believe it's) 9-28. CBS News is doing a feature segment on the Islanders and their contribution to this worthy cause. There are exclusive interviews with Campoli and Gervais as well as Chris Dey. Sounds like a great piece with some good exposure on network TV.

They're clearing off the ice, so I'm sitting here waiting to see what's next.
"Dee! Dee!!" I recognize the voice, but am slow to turn around. Garth Snow just peeked out from behind the posters to say "Hi" to me, which was very nice of him.

Sitting chatting with Katie Strang from Newsday who concurred that the Hockey coverage should indeed expand with the Dolan's in charge. I'm thinking it's a clever move on their part to keep us very vocal Islanders fans from yapping back at them all the time.

I don't know what I'm doing up here just hanging out and typing. But... what the hell... it's cool up here and I do so love being in the rink. That's why I came down. I know that it will be a little while longer before I can see an actual hockey game since I'm not going to Moncton. (Neither is Katie.... she's not in Newsday's budget.) I guess Greg will have to be our only link. Not sure if Chris Botta is making the trip, but if he is.. that will be great coverage to send off his new (supposedly daily) Islanders Point Blank on September 25th.

3 comments:

TheMetalChick said...

Katie Strang has come a long way IMO... she has shown a lot of improvement in her coverage. At this point Im glad to have her aboard.

Im jealous of those of you taking time off work to go up there... the best I can muster is taking a little time to come read about it lol.

Anonymous said...

I'll be there Dee, so you can be sure there will be some fandom coverage from training camp.

7th Woman said...

Don't make me jealous. I'm not nice when I'm JEALOUS!!! TRUST ME!