Thursday, November 27, 2008

Book Shopping on Black Friday in my PJs

I would normally be done Christmas shopping by now. My usual routine is being finished by Thanksgiving. This year, with everything that went on, I haven't even STARTED. Just call me Mrs. Grinch. I'm not good at this. But I had an idea that may work out for me, and maybe you too if you don't like bucking the crowds either.

How about some one-size-fits-all, never goes out of style, has no expiration date and can expand the recipient's horizons? Books. And considering that we have some very good authors in our midst, I think it's a wonderful idea.

Here are some ideas:

Necessary Heartbreak by NYIC's own Mike Sullivan. A great gift for women young and old on your list available at Barnes & Noble. It's received some RAVE reviews from many outlets including the NY TIMES! This is the first of a Trilogy that will really catch your attention.

The Smart One by my old High School buddy Ellen Meister. She has a wonderful sense of humor and you'll find lots of Long Island references in this and her other book, The Secret Confessions of the Applewood PTA.

Adam Canfield of the Slash & Adam Canfield Watch Your Back both children's books by my good friend Mike Winerip who also writes a parenting column for the NY Times. Check Amazon.com for those titles.

For your Hockey fan friends, there's always Kevin Gibson's book Three Players Who Have Never Been in my Kitchen. A fact and figure book about all teams past and present and a little humor sprinkled in.

And lastly, there's a new book by funny guy Denis Leary, Why We Suck. It sounds fabulous!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Thanks so much for recommending my books, Dee. Thanks, too, for pushing the concept of BOOKS in general as holiday gifts. I'm hoping this catches on big time this year!
xo