Monday, February 16, 2009

Isles beat the Pens in a Shoot Out


The post game atmosphere is always so much better when they win. It's also better when there's actually a 60 minute effort. And that's what Scott was most proud of.

The play of the youngsters has been steadily improving. That's not much to get excited over, but when you're the last place team in the league, you'll take whatever shred of optimism you can muster.

But a shoot out win, and Tambellini netting a goal for a change was good to see.

"I thought it was sixty solid minutes. I thought the chances generated were pretty good."

Sean Bergenheim played a very good game, earning two assist points and the coaches confidence by managing to stay out of the penalty box this time. "I think Bergie played well, he finished his checks. Frans (Nielsen) is a play maker and has speed. Hilbert is reliable and can play both sides of the puck." They were a great line.

Okposo made his mark against the face of the NHL. "It's something where we want our young players to play against the best. They're going to be better players for it."

Personally, I didn't think Crosby looked like himself. he was almost invisible. But it was an entertaining game for the crowd of 16,234 (yes, that means sell out). And since it was a wonderful mood in Press Room 6, IslesOfficial Doug even got to ask Scott Gordon a question
after Stan Fischler and Greg Logan were done. When Seth said "One more question." Doug jumped right on it. He asked why some of the players seem to be reluctant to shoot. Check his blog. I'm sure he's going to discuss the answer.

Also check out Gary Harding's blog, View from 317 even though his view today was from 201. And of course, there was Stephen from IslesNation doing his thing going back and forth between his computer and his Blackberry.

When he turned his back, I was going to mess up his blog, but he caught me. But considering I have quite a few pounds on him, I'm sure I could have taken him if I wanted too.
Islesblogger.com Mike was quiet today as he stayed in his seats for all but the last remaining minutes of the game, and Tiger Track Tom Liodice looked quite dashing in his sports coat and tie. Wow! He really IS taking this very seriously. You can check out his work on the Isles main website for many of the game recaps.
Thanks to Doug I ALMOST had a one-on-one interview with Sean Bergenheim in the hallway but for some reason, couldn't come up with anything to ask him. We simply exchanged pleasantries and I told him how happy I was for him for his two point game and star of the night. It must have been that smile and those blue eyes, but I just walked away smiling instead of standing there asking questions and writing.
And finally some additional notes from the locker room (even though I'm not supposed to talk about them). Rick DiPietro looked quite well, almost as good as Hillary Duff.

No comments: