Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Isles vs. Flyers 12-8-09 Preview

UGGGH!!! I stressed over being able to put together a preview for tonight's Isles game on Versus for their own website. I even had to work on a deadline! ME! A Deadline for writing! You know how HARD that was for me??? But I ran into IceWorks on my lunch hour, ran interference on Scott Gordon and wouldn't let him get passed me until he gave me quotes I needed for the article.

I finished it there while the team walked back and forth towards the workout room. I hardly made eye contact or conversation. Nice, the day I could have probably ended up with a dozen player interviews, I had my head in my laptop and the my earphones from my recorder in. Obviously, I don't work well under pressure when it comes to writing. Give me 30 invoices to do in an hour or a client sales report and I can do it in my sleep. Tell me to write 500 words by 2 pm sharp, and I hyperventilate.

But I did it, with some help from my favorite high-level proofreader and the blessing of someone with more hockey knowledge than I could ever hope to attain.

Too bad I can't find it on the Versus website to link it!!! So... here it is anyway! This is SOMEWHERE on their site today. If anyone locates it, please send ME the link. Thanks.


Because you can't fire 21 players, you fire one coach. That is what the Flyers did this week in an effort to spark their team and their fans. This is the way of the NHL. Peter Laviolette left the analyst's desk and returned to the bench and immediately his new team was trounced in an 8 - 2 loss to the Capitals. Welcome Back, Peter. I hope you enjoyed your 45th birthday on Monday.

As coach of the NY Islanders from 2001 to 2003, Peter managed to take an rumored to be divided team to the playoffs -- where they were promptly routed in the first round. GM Garth Snow played 68 games for him between the pipes and rehabbing Rick DiPietro played 10 games for him with the Isles and again at the Winter Olympics in 2006 in Turin. Other than that, Laviolette is far removed from his days with the Isles.

As head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes for five seasons, he managed to win a cup, miss the playoffs three times and find himself on the unemployment line. No one can question his work ethic, his energy or his passion. He just doesn't always get the results he's looking for. When a new coach is brought into a team that is already established, it takes a little time for them to understand the new system and make it work. I think this could be a benefit the Isles.

Islanders Head Coach Scott Gordon has a different theory. He feels that a coaching change could inspire the players. Usually, when a new coach comes in, theres a surge when everybody wants to be on their best behavior. That type of thing. Theyre going to put their best foot forward, and usually with new coaches they get an adrenalin rush for eight or 10 games."

However, as reported by the Bucks County Courier Times, Laviolette said he doesn't expect instant success. "Whenever you switch over things you had been doing for a while, it obviously won't click right away."

Should the Islanders be able to capitalize on any Flyers mistakes, they may be able to leave Philly with two points. Scott Gordon expects his team to play with the same high tempo and fire that Laviolette will attempt to instill in the Flyers. This will come down to a game of "who wants it more."

Currently, the guy who wants it more than anything is Kyle Okposo. With just five goals in 28 games, he's doing everything right without the results. When I asked what Scott did in practice to help Kyle get over his frustration, I put him on defense was his answer. WHAT? Who said our coach doesnt have a sense of humor? No, he actually did play some two on ones. Hes getting great chances. Theyre just not going in. As frustrating as it is for him, hes putting himself in a position to score. He just hasnt. Personally, I'm looking for him to find the back of the Flyers net.

The team who can stay out of the box should be the one to reap the rewards. While the Islanders penalty kill has been excellent, their power play leaves much to be desired. When I asked what could be done to fix it, the answer was simple: Score. I laughed. Gordon was serious. Thats it. he said.

In the battle of the rookies, NY Islander John Tavares will see the Flyers James van Riemsdyk for the second time. The first game on 11/25/09 was a very disappointing 2 - 1 loss for the Isles. If you're counting, JT has 22 points and JVR has 19. Both are very impressive.

This is going to be a great game! Let's see who adds to their stat sheet -- on both sides of the ice.

No comments: