Tuesday, January 29, 2008

BUSTED!


Ah, Valentine's Day is coming, and I so look forward to it more than any other holiday on the calendar. It's my wedding anniversary, and I always plan to have a loving, memorable day each year. We've had some great ones over the past 15 years. Some years, depending on the calendar, we can plan an over-nighter. We've celebrated at the South Street Seaport, renewed our vows at Gurneys in Montauk, strolled the cold winter docks in Amagansett, shopped among the rich and famous in East Hampton and cozied up to a romantic fire in Stony Brook. We've managed to work around the fire department training schedules, bad weather and the needs of an only child.


This year when I looked at the calendar I found that Big Angry Man has county class on February 14th, so an over-nighter is out of the question. We've also over indulged in a few winter vacations already which have strained the entertainment budget. I thought and came up with the best practical compromise I could.


"Honey... considering that you'll be under pressure with class this year on our anniversary, and we were just away a few weeks ago, why don't I plan a nice evening at home for us this year? I'll make lobster salad, and a heart shaped pizza, and an anniversary cake with those heart pans I bought two years ago. I've already got champagne in the fridge and we can light our wedding candle and dance to our first song in the living room."

He smiled, put his arms around me and whispered....


"There's an Islander game on, isn't there? And you're afraid if we go out, you'll miss it."


SON OF A B***CH! I forget how well this man knows me.


Well, I'll have time tonight to grumble and plan while I'm at the barn watching the Isles play the Sens again. Let's see, history dictates that they don't play too well after a long break. Let's hope that's not the case tonight. From here on in, every point (or lack there of) counts.

No comments: