Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sleepwalking

I think that's what we'll all be doing tomorrow. As I said before, I don't like the west coast trips. The late starts throw me all off. It disrupts my routine and makes it difficult to function.

Certainly, I still maintain my "game day" traditions of wardrobe choices: Blue, orange, white. All 82 game days, you can always tell the Islanders are playing simply by looking at what I have on. I'm like a walking game calendar when I walk into work and ask, "What day is it??" I wait for the answer that at this point in the season is almost an auto-response. "Game day." Thank you. It would be easier if I were allowed to wear my jerseys to work, but I'm not, so I have to be creative.

The later game starts give me more time to have dinner and clean the kitchen, but keeping my eyes open seems to be the problem. Yesterday I made coffee at 9 pm and then regretted it by 10:30pm as they were losing and I was getting wired. I didn't need to be wide awake and dissapointed. I'm certain the team was too as they travelled on.

An even later start tonight from Vancouver, but I opted to see what black tea would do. Well, it's now 11:42 and I'm still awake, though not wired. Struggling with the desire to close my eyes, and my desire to see what the third period will bring. So far with 13:45 left in the 3rd, it's yet tied again, this time at 2.

Sadly, I know what tomorrow will bring. The alarm will sound at 6 am and I will be a miserable, sleepwalking zombie. The question is will I be a walking zombie with a smile on my face at two points gained so far from home? Or one wondering how I could be so foolish as to risk falling asleep at the wheel driving to work because I had to watch the third period.

Oh yes... the things we do for hockey. The only fact that makes me feel better is.... Right now there are 30 other people on NYIC that are foolish enough to be doing the same damn thing I am. Staying awake... yelling at the TV, and praying this damn game doesn't go into overtime. At least I won't wonder where I am when I wake up tomorrow morning. Providing I have enough energy to actually WAKE up in the morning.

No comments: