Monday, January 7, 2008

What's Wrong with this Picture?



WHAT really is WRONG with this picture? This is Steve Downie, and he has no regard for his fellow NHLers. But then again, that's pretty easy to understand since he has spent most of his time in the OHL and the rest of the time... suspended. EJ Hradek called him a "gutless puke" today on NHL Live. I tend to agree. I think most sensible humans may tend to agree.

So what's really wrong? How does the NHL NOT hand out at least SOMETHING to this repeat offender who sucker punched a veteran NHLer? Damn good question, to which I have no answer. Is it because it was the officials' least favorite pest, Jason Blake, instead of Leafs great Mats Sundin that had to leave the ice so the NHL felt it could go without reprisal? Did Blake's eye have to leave the socket and fall at the officials feet in order for there to be at least SOME sort of punishment?

Sorry guys... I DON'T GET THIS ONE!!!! The Officials and the League have failed the NHLPA this time, IMO. This guy punched a player while he was being restrained. The officials restraining both players didn't do their job to protect BOTH players from further incident. Shouldn't the NHLPA have something to say about this? Isn't it THEIR job to protect their members?

Sure, this is another argument for repealing the instigator rule, but is that really the answer? Yes, it would have been nice to see one of the larger Leaf players play ping pong with Downie's head for the assault on Blake, but it didn't happen. Blake's face turned purple immediately and swelled up so bad he couldn't see out of that eye, (God knows if he lost the contact in it as well) all while Downie skated off to the box laughing.

I can only hope the Cosmos will find a way to even up the score. Because, what goes around, comes around. For additional comments and thoughts on this subject, check out Tom's Tiger Track Blog http://www.thetigertrack.com/

I hate the West Coast Road Trips: Not only because I'm not at the games, but because I have a hard time staying awake for them. So here it is, after 10 pm and I'm drinking coffee. Oh... the things I do for hockey. God Help Me

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Why are there different rules for certain players? Colin Campbell has lost my respect -- again.

Anonymous said...

Great job Dee! Love your blogs!

Anonymous said...

Something is missing and i think it's 3FL-1288 at the bottom of the picture.

7th Woman said...

You know... It took me awhile to figure out what that meant! Ooppss... Blond moment!