Thursday, July 17, 2008

ISLANDERS STAR ORDERED TO PERFORM PUBLIC SERVICE



Did I get your attention?

For years now my cohorts and I have joked that Islanders players were forced into public appearances as a means of punishment for bad behavior ON or OFF the ice. Just as when a celebrity gets caught with an illegal substance in his pants pocket and spends the next few months doing D.A.R.E. programs in LA schools. Same thing here. If you pissed off Mike Milbury, your butt was scheduled for the next Booster Club meeting where you were pelted with questions about your "misbehavior."

But all that has changed now hasn't it? The public service program is now plotted, planned, scheduled and accessorized with the I.C.E. tour. This is a brilliant idea for the Islanders and for the communities and it's working well. But...

(I know... You're thinking what the hell could I possibly be complaining about when this is such a good thing for the kids. Bear with me a second.)

Way back when the season was just winding down, Josh Bernstein and I talked about what would be happening in the "off-season" with this program. The appearances, the open houses and the Islander RV. Brilliant all. He also told me that each player was contracted and scheduled to 4 or 5 day blocks of time for appearances back on the Island. Brilliant too. As many of these men and boys spend their summers in their native homes, they could plan the trip accordingly. I'm impressed with their attention to detail.

Here's the kicker for me, maybe as a mother or maybe because I like to put my hockey players on a pedestal even though I know I shouldn't. Check the last week of July for the I.C.E. tour schedule:

Monday July 28, 10am - 1 pm
Chris Campoli at the Brookhaven Country Day Camp

Tuesday July 29, 2008 10am to 1pm
Chris Campoli and I.C.E. Tour at Lawrence Woodmere Academy
Tuesday July 29, 2008 1:30pm to 5pm
Islanders Day at Long Beach Arena featuring Chris Campoli

Wednesday July 30, 2008 9am to 12pm
Chris Campoli
and I.C.E. Tour at Town of Smithtown Recreation Program
Wednesday July 30, 2008 6pm to 8pm
Open House at the Coliseum; Meet Chris Campoli


Thursday July 31, 2008 (Hours undisclosed)
North Shore LIJ - Employees only, Meet (2 guesses) Chris Campoli
Thursday July 31, 2008 6pm to 7:30 pm
Chris Campoli at the Islanders Team Store


Friday August 1, 2008 9am to 12pm
Chris Campoli and I.C.E. Tour at Town of Smithtown Recreation Program

Friday August 1, 2008 1pm to 3pm

Chris Campoli and I.C.E. Tour at Friends Academy Summer Camp

Saturday August 2, 2008 Ok Chris take a breather.

But on the seventh day...

Sunday August 3, 2008 11am to 3pm
Islanders Day at Newbridge Park featuring Campoli and MacDonald

So what does this tell you? Well first, if you see the Islanders RV going by, wave to Chris Campoli and second.... maybe the on ice work isn't the hardest part of the job. Glad this boy has such a winning smile because his face is going to be frozen that way come Sunday.

Good Luck Campoli-oli-oli-O. See ya around (and around... and around... and around...)

3 comments:

Dani said...

Wow. So much for division of labor, huh? He's going to have wrinkles from smiling for all those pics. ;)

I think the program itself is fantastic. I truly believe that it will draw more people into the world of hockey.

Anonymous said...

Dee - they have been getting players to do stuff for a week at a time. Trent did it - Freddy did it.

This is Chris' week...

7th Woman said...

I know that! I'm just saying the timing is very difficult. One a few days there is a 1/2 hour between appearances. THAT was my point.