Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday In the Park with Wendy


Another weekend of messed up plans. For weeks we had planned on going to Bryant Park to skate by the tree to end the Holiday season. The weather put a damper on those plans. So I missed the snow and managed to get to IceWorks yesterday, but today I wanted to go skating. But my daughter's softball practice interferred with my total independance.

After much deliberation and some internet searches, we opted for the indoor rink at Nassau County's Cantiague park. I had some lovely memories of skating there when I was a kid living in Jericho. Well, the lovely memories didn't last long.

Seems the county hasn't changed it much since all those years ago. With the exception of the price. It is now $14 for an adult without a town Leisure pass, without skates. Considering that I just paid $13 for three of us to skate at the arena in New Hampshire, I was a little miffed. It cost my friend Patti $19 for the session and the skate rental.

Once inside I asked where I could find the lockers. I got laughed at. "They're on order." the kid behind the counter told me.


"Since when? 1962? You're kidding right?" I said in disgust. But at least it wasn't very crowded.



We put our skates on, packed our skate bags and put them up on the bleachers so we could see them. The plexi around the boards was so marked up you couldn't even see through them. How do you watch a game there?


Oh, and it seems that carrying a camera is a big "no-no" on the ice there. The camera police made Wendy put her's away. I think the Zamboni is ALSO a no-no because it never came out to clear the ice.

Yes, we were all ushered off mid session and went to the concession stand, but upon returning, the ice was just as chopped up as before. What a mess. But we enjoyed our two hours together anyway. We always enjoy our time together.

Any time on the ice is better than nothing. Even if the ice isn't perfect.


There was an obvious Islanders presence, but only because of the display set up in the front. The logo on the dasher boards was so beat up, you couldn't even tell it was the Islanders logo. When was the last time anyone fixed anything in this place?
Why am I bringing all this up? This is a Nassau County park. It's obvious that tax dollars aren't being spent here. Even if people are paying a lot of money to skate there. Nassau County at it's best... Right?
Right.

2 comments:

Doug Davidson said...

Trust me you really have no idea...I hate working games there for the simple reason that the facility is falling apart. Considering it was the practice facility of the Dynasty teams makes the situation there all the more depressing.

Anonymous said...

That Cantiague place is a DUMP! One of my nephews played in a hockey tournament tneir. I was shocked at the shape of the place.

Too bad you missed going to Bryant Park. I finally got to skate their this year. Had a blast. Beats Rock Center any day of the week. Less crowded.