Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Let's Talk Lighthouse Transportation.


I probably shouldn't begin to write this entry when it is so late and I have just been sitting on the couch growing roots into my laptop. But listening to the new President address Congress, my mind started to wander.


With the Lighthouse project finally making some headway, it's time to start thinking about the real possibilities that it will offer. Above and beyond the jobs and tax revenue it is sure to generate, I'm very excited about something rather small, but may have far reaching benefits.


I don't have the luxury of living in Nassau County close to the Coliseum. I couldn't afford to purchase a home in Nassau and had to move out east many years ago. But even though my residence is east, my entire life revolves around the western portion of this little island.


My doctors, my in-laws, my friends, my daughter's softball and my Islanders are ALL within five miles of the Nassau Coliseum. Sadly, they are about 60 miles from my home. I make this drive often. Sometimes twice in a day. It is time consuming and costly.


On game days I forgo driving all the way home just to head back out to Nassau. On those days, I am out of my house from 8 am to 11 pm. That's a long day for anyone. Because I am driving, which I really do not like, I can't relax and enjoy myself. I'd love to be able to take mass transit to the Coliseum. This is why the photo above captured my imagination.


I would love the opportunity to take the train to Mineola and then jump on this state-of-the-art sleek, Islanders Magic Bus for the less than six mile ride to the Coliseum. To not have to worry about driving and parking would be a great feeling for a change.


Of course something this cool would require reservations and a fee to use, but it would be like a mini Disney World trip.


The fuel savings of less cars driving to the barn would be good for the environment. Perhaps it would be more expensive for me because I'd be paying for the entire family to take the train and then the bus, but it would be more relaxing. Or at least... that's how I look at it.


Come on. Look how cool that is! I wanna ride the big blue bus!!

1 comment:

Ken Dick said...

"The blue bus...is calling us." -- Jim Morrison, 'The End'