Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Trick of The Trade

I wasn't going to write this morning. I did enough of that yesterday. And yet something dawned on me while I was in the shower (as ideas usually come to me when there is nothing to write with).

Much ado has been made about the trade/no-trade/possible-package/up-in-smoke/just-a-scam movement of Captain Bill Guerin. It seems that anything the Islanders do or don't do becomes breaking news and fodder for jokes.

But I ask you, do any of you reading or writing or speculating have a clue as to what is really going on behind closed doors and late night phone sessions? Do any of you seriously know the scope of any deals that may have been presented, reworked and then rescinded? Hardly, unless your name is Garth Snow.

I'll ask another question: Who of you out there has never been deceived? Who of you has never been ripped off? And better yet, are there any of you who have not had something you planned for fall hopelessly apart?

So, all I'm thinking is that before we begin to label the Islanders trade deadline dealings as "pathetic" or "laughable," or before someone with a degree in photo shop labels the Islanders GM as "Clown," can we possibly find out what the real story is?

Everyone has the right to their opinion, but only one man has the job. And I don't think it's a very easy one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I'll ask another question: Who of you out there has never been deceived? Who of you has never been ripped off? And better yet, are there any of you who have not had something you planned for fall hopelessly apart?"

Is this just about hockey or are you writing my life story?? :)