Friday, April 3, 2009

10 Days, 5 Games and Done



That's what the Islanders and the fans have left.


NY Baseball is taking over the minds and hearts of NY sports fans with the two brand-new stadiums that will draw record setting crowds at record setting prices. Money will flow, newspapers will be filled, airwaves will be crowded with the sounds of the Boys of Summer.


Meanwhile, back in Uniondale, the only major sports franchise on Long Island will remain desolately waiting. The more I think about it, the more upset I become. How long did it take them to build the new Yankee Stadium? How long did it take to build CitiField?


How long does it take to build ANYTHING in Nassau County? It is exponential.


There were only two dates in the news yesterday that offered me any hockey to look forward to in the coming months. The first two Sound Tigers play off games at the Coliseum will be April 17th & 18th. I have already purchased my Group Loop package for the Friday game. I wouldn't miss it. Should the Tigers move on, I will be heading to Bridgeport as well.


Then there was the announcement of the Draft party in June to be held once again at the Coliseum. I don't believe it will turn into the same fan-stampede as it did last year. Or at least, I hope not.


I can only suggest to the powers that be that it would be really great to have Rick DiPietro as the Master Of Ceremony this year. The fan base would love to see him and I'm sure he has stories about his draft experience to entertain us. We miss Rick, especially with the demise of ITV coverage.


Game Day Saturday, but will either team really want to win? Ten days, Five games... and done.

No comments: