Friday, May 22, 2009

Of Sports & Politics & New Media


In October of 2005, I had no idea who those two men behind the glass were when I was taking pictures during an open practice. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know they were in the shot until I was cleaning out my hard drive a few months ago and found this photo.
By 2007, I knew both of them. They loved their jobs with the Islanders. One was a magician, the other, the magician's assistant and student. He learned a lot.
As most sports teams do regularly, the Islanders are in restructuring mode. When you aren't winning, you shake the tree and see what falls out. The Islanders seem to like to do that in the month of May. For many workers, their time with the NY Islanders is done. New employees will be found with new ideas and fresh enthusiasm. It's a sad state of affairs for those who have lost the jobs they love, but that is the nature of the business. The good thing is, other companies do exactly the same thing, so other positions should open up. Every time God closes a door, he opens a window. Hopefully not so you jump out.
One woman I'm hoping will have her tenure at her current job cut short is KATE MURRAY who is kicking off her re-election campaign today at 1 pm in Levittown. IF the Democratic party can take over the white house, why can't it take over the Town of Hempstead??? It's time for a change people, unless you'd like every relative of this woman to have a job in the town that your tax dollars will pay for. Seriously.
The Internet has become my source of all information lately. Most notably -- TWITTER. I'm imagining that it is now what that stock ticket was over 100 years ago. The tiniest bits of important information delivered to your hand as it happens.
That is how I found out about Corey Witt's departure from the NY Islanders. That is how I found out about Kate Murray's campaign kick off. That is how I find out just about everything, by following a diverse group of Twitter feeds. It's mind-boggling.
Good Luck Corey.

No comments: