Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Isles Lose to the Devils 4 - 2, But Devils Fan wins BIG!


I'd like to thank this Devils fan for throwing his support behind our battle. We seriously appreciate it.

There were signs on the concourse and in the stands. There was a shout of "Just Build It" during the National anthem. While we were there to see the Long Island debut of John Tavares, we were also there with a sense of nervousness. How much longer will we be able to head to Uniondale for NHL Hockey?

One fan said to me, "I don't want to have to drive 9 hours to watch my team." I don't either. As a matter of fact, I don't even want to have to drive into Queens or Brooklyn. Truthfully, I won't. I can't. It's hard enough for me to get from Melville to Uniondale on a weeknight. I couldn't imagine trying to get to Queens or Brooklyn.

No, no. This team should stay where it is. I just hope the powers that be see it as clearly as this guy carrying a sign all over the Coliseum does.

While the crowd may have been light, it was nice to have hockey back. There's excitement over the new season and the new kids on the ice.

Besides John Tavares getting his second NHL point on an assist on Matt Moulsen's goal, I'll say that young Calvin deHaan certainly looks good on the ice.

IslesOfficial Doug asked if he reminded anyone of a young Bruno Gervais. In actuality, remembering back, Bruno looked 15 when he first came to the Islanders. I begged the kid to eat a cheeseburger or two.

But the story of the night were the heavy hitters. The barn was full of them. Not only the ones on the ice, but the ones on the concourse. First there was Eric Cairns and Joel Rechlichz, then downstairs there was Kevin Colley and his assistant coach from the ECHL's Utah Grizzles. (Considering the scare I can't get out of my mind, he looks fabulous.) Also downstairs was fan favorite Steve Webb fresh off his charity bike ride. He said he was feeling the discomfort now of pushing himself to the limit, but he was all smiles when it came to the amount of money they raised. "We're still counting. It's still coming in." He did 70 miles a day. God Bless this guy. Check his website at the w20 foundation for details on his trip. You may even be able to catch this on the Islanders main website soon.

I asked The Wrecker about Haley, since he seems to be trying to prove something every time he hits the ice. "He's a tough kid. He's a really good middle weight. One of the best in the American Hockey League. He doesn't shy away from the rough stuff. He's a good player too"

I take it he's looking to make the leap to the NHL. Okay, who said we had no toughness on this team? Just take a look again at how many fights there have been in this preseason period and how many different names you've read. One name I didn't want to see on the fight card was Mark Streit. That was a big no-no. But what are you going to do. He's not the type of guy to back down.

There was a Kyle Okposo sighting, and as Katie Strang said, he looks okay. I also saw my boy Sean, a little shaggy, but getting around without any noticeable outward discomfort. He should be back soon.

I didn't get to see Doug Weight or Trent Hunter. But then again, I also missed two thirds of Scott Gordon's press conference. I have to learn not to chat so much in the hallway. But it was the first night back and I was so happy to see everyone.

I stopped veteran announcer Jiggs MacDonald who was reluctant to say that the broadcast went without error. "They say this is like riding a bicycle. Not really." Hopefully, someone else can tell me how it went since I don't get to see the broadcasts when I'm there.

Yep, this is going to be an interesting season for sure. Even with so many unanswered questions, we really do have a lot to look forward to. No, really.

No comments: