Monday, April 12, 2010

A Note to the Isles Faithful from Rob Carlin of MSG


Today was the day the Islanders come back to the Coliseum for the the last time this season to pack up, sign rows of sticks and jerseys and have their last chat with Coach Gordon. While they were at it, they spoke with the media and were interviewed by Chris King for ITV. Oh, and I was there too for a little while.

But while I'm taking my time to transcribe all the interviews I did this afternoon, I've to a Thank You note from someone we've spent a little time with this year.

So here's a note from MSG's Rob Carlin.

I just wanted to thank all the passionate and dedicated Islanders fans I've met and got to know throughout my first season with MSG.

I grew up in Bellmore and lived and breathed the Islanders as a kid. I remember May 24, 1980, at 7:11 of overtime, when Bobby Nystrom made the Islanders Stanley Cup Champions for the first time. I was actually in the Coliseum, chanting "But-chie", when Butch Goring won the Conn Smythe Trophy as they went back to back. Watching in wide eyed amazement when Mike Bossy contorted his body in mid-air and squeezed the puck past "King" Richard Brodeur on their way to a 3rd straight Cup. And Bryan Trottier slamming his fists on top of the Cup after holding off Wayne Gretzky and the Oilers in 1984, sparking Sports Illustrated to brand the Islanders "the greatest team to ever lace on skates."

Now I get to work with Butch and call the Coliseum my office. John Tavares recently told Deb Placey that his rookie season has been "a wild ride." I know how he feels. My first year with the Islanders has had its share of ups and downs but I promise every minute has been a dream come true.

I hope to be back next year and be a part of an Islanders return to glory. If that works out, I'll see you all at the Coliseum. If not, let me say thank you again for letting me live out my dreams. And, as always, Let's Go Islanders!!

Rob Carlin
Pre & Post Game Host
New York Islanders Hockey
MSG Network


With the amount of interviews I did today, it will give me material for a week. But it will also take me awhile to write them. I'm only part-time you know!

**Note: Congrats to Scott Gordon on being chosen as the Coach for Team USA for the World Champiionships in May. I told him to start packing a few of those custom suits of his!

No comments: