Saturday, October 2, 2010

Isles vs. Devils at the Coliseum 10/2/10

And they're off. Sad to see a #20 jersey out there and have it not be Sean Bergenheim. Sadder to see a #55 when I didn't know there would be. That's new Islander Mike Mottau. I don't know why I have problems spelling that.

So while I had my head down trying to retrieve photos from my camera, DiPietro ended up having to face a penalty shot which clanged off teh post. Once play started again, it was a glove save that kept the Devils off teh board. And I can't get my photos to load.

With 6:54 left of the first Zach Parise gets the Devils on the board with an amazing shot from the left of the net while Rick had to do everything he could to fight off Kovalchuk and Tallinder. He was sprawled in his crease and Zach picked the top corner and nailed it.


7:38 pm: Nice to see the Radek Martinek is healthy enough to strip Kovalchuck of the puck. SOG are 10 - 8 Islanders and Trent Hunter had an excellent opportunity off a Wiz that would have doubled the score. Gotta get those Trent. You're a vet now. Everyone's depending on you.

When they announce the 1 minute remaining mark, I always tense up for Rick. That is usually his worst time. Tavares skates out with the puck into the Devils zone and what looked like it was going to be an amazing play um... didn't. But no harm no foul as the Devils and Islanders head to the dressing rooms tied at 1.

8:14pm: with 9:39 left of the 2nd the SOG are 13 - 10 Islanders. Devils back up goalie Hedberg has been pressured and often out of position, but nothing is getting to him.

8:34 left of the 2nd and Konopka's presence in the crease causes a whistle and stoppage of play. No penalty. That's good.

Rick Skates out to the far right to play a puck, but thank goodness, thinks better of it. and retreats, so did the play back towards Hedberg. Nielsen just absorbed a huge hit by Clarkson. Hopefully, he's fine.

I will say this game is a success under the following conditions: Keep Kovalchuck off the scoresheet and no one requires an MRI in the morning. Thank you.

There was almost an incident as a broken Devil's stick went FLYING into the stands, but two men around a little girl protected her and she goes home with a souvenier that doesn't require stitches. good Guys.

2:25 left of the 2nd and Blake Comeau manages to get a shot past Hedberg. SOG now 18 - 12. JT and Hunter both recieved assists on that goal. While it's nice for Comeau to hit the score sheet, I'm not going to get too excited because there's a lot of hockey to be played. And we are coming upon that dreaded "One minute. One minute left..."

With 26 seconds left of the second, I'd like someone to tell me that Rick DiPietro isn't feeling just fabulous as he mad a sliding save that would have tied the game. He kept his eye on the play and kew where the puck was at all times and made sure he made the save. Brilliant!

Third period begins while I was walking back to the elevator after seeing @Icecreeper downstairs. Rick is still in net and the SOG are now even at 19. But the news that came over my phone about Nino Niederreiter who was slashed in the back of the legs by Cammalleri had me worried and angry. We cannot afford another injury.

Meanwhile, Martinek took a tumble on the ice and I held my breath. He's okay though.

No comments: