Sunday, December 11, 2011

Duncan Sheik at the Boulton


Friday night I took a night off from Holidays and Hockey and went to another fine concert at the Boulton Center in Bay Shore.

We won a contest and was part of a Meet & Greet with Duncan Sheik, a guy who writes music that seems to come from intense pain in dulcet tones.

It was just Duncan and his partner Jason. Duncan had six guitars on stage with him, one of which was "behaving very badly" and had a pick-up problem that made my ears bleed. He kept picking it up any way. Jason was a well rounded musician and played the piano, synthesizer and a Bina Hamonia which is a stand up bastardized accordion that I couldn't take my eyes off.

Sheik's voice has stood the test of time and he has a great sense of humor. He could probably do stand up if he didn't want to continue singing. (Which he may want to consider.) He made light of the fact that he seemed completely unorganized with lyric sheets flying everywhere.

As Dan, whom I dragged away from his office Christmas party to attend this concert with me since I finally WON something, said - he was a bit of a train wreck.

The after show meet and greet was also interesting. I seem to be the only one who carries a sharpie. I was also the only one not really looking at Sheik as anything more than this guy who sings. (I'll credit that to spending five years talking to famous hockey players while they're standing in their under armour.)

He signed a CD for me and wrote it out based on Dan introducing us to him. I thought that was pretty interesting that he listened long and wrote out my name while I was asking for a guitar pick for my daughter. I also asked him if he had any advice for a 17-year-old who wanted to go to Five Towns College for music business because she wanted to be an A&R rep.

He squinted and shook his head. "The music business right now is a shit-show."

And that about sums it up.

No comments: