Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Isles vs. Rangers 1-13-08


Wanna guess? Yes, they lost. But they lost by one goal. One lousy goal. The Broadway Blueshirts could not score more than two goals on our back-up's back-up. Look at the talent on that team and tell me that is not a feat.

It was a night for the youngsters to just go out and play in an arena filled with the enemy. They did an admirable job.

I do think that Islanders Country let out a collective gasp when we saw Joey MacDonald leave the ice... limping. "OH GOD!! NOW WHAT??" I saw comments begging for equipment problems, but Doug got the prize for calling groin strain. What is with this team? Someone bring in a Yoga coach or something.

MSG Plus cameramen always at the ready, panned up to the sky box where Garth and company watch the game. There he sat, stoic, flipping through his blackberry while Dunham was searching the pages of the media guide. Could have been looking for the name of another goalie in the system or maybe for the rule of who an suit up as the back-up's, back-up's, back-up! Yep, Dunham did indeed suit up, but never made it out onto the bench.

Yes, earlier in the broadcast Snow was interviewed by Jaffe regarding the Rick DiPietro situation. Again, stoic is the best word to use. Even though it was all-around good-guy Billy Jaffe doing the interview, you can still tell that this is one part of Snow's job he'll never get used to.

Speaking of the broadcast, you could tell a discernible change in the attitude of all the announcers from C.J. Papa all the way to Butch Goring. Gone is the hype and enthusiasm replaced by understanding of reality. Personally, I thought it was the best paced broadcast so far. Now they are acting more as reporters rather than salesmen, and it works.

Billy and Howie actually made me laugh when the made a big deal out of a Yann Danis save. You know, the way you make a big deal when a toddler can find his mouth for the first time with his strained peas. "Good job!"

A little ridiculous that the Rangers celebrated so hard when they scored the game winning goal. Again, look who scored it and look who is in net. No need for celebration there.

I enjoyed the Live Chat with the Blog Box bunch and guests led by B.D. Gallof and his unseemly Ranger brother, Scott. But I did have to turn my attention away from the net when my friend Wendy came by to watch the game with me.

A very special THANK YOU to my friend Dina, the arena hostess for stopping by Big Angry Man and his fire department brethren in section 113. You made their night. But then again, you make everyone happy when you visit them in their seats at the Coliseum.


Random thought 1) Does Jack Capuano let out a huge "Son of a Bitch!" every time a player on the Islanders goes down and he has to give someone up from the Sound Tigers?


Random thought 2) Does Kevin Colley let out a big "Whoo Hoo!" when the call comes in to Utah?


Random thought 3) Did Billy Jaffe raid Barry Melrose's closet for that Canadian Mafia suit?


Random thought 4) Wasn't that the best Islanders colors tie that Scott Gordon was sporting? In all my years watching the bench, that was absolutely the BEST tie.
Random thought 5) Sean didn't score. I had bet everyone that he would because I wasn't going to be there. He let me down. But I guess at least that mean's they'll let me back in the building.


4 comments:

Doug Davidson said...

Question now is: What do I win for calling that? LOL! Last night's game as you so appropriately stated was yet another dose of reality. I can say for a fact that Jack doesn't swear when he loses a player to the big club because he has so many reliable guys on the Cuddly Tigers. Nathan Lawson might find himself on Long Island sooner than later and you might see talks between Dubie and Snowy get a little more friendly.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dee,
Watching the game last night, both my sister and I made a 'woo' sound when we first checked out Gordon behind the bench. Dapper in the bold stripes. Thumbs up to Gordon on the team colored matching neckware. I bet he has been browsing the pages of GQ lately.
:)
-Kelly

Anonymous said...

My husband made a very interesting observation last night at the game. He said the Rangers were not playing a solid game and seemed to be off their game. He felt with all the talent on that team they should have wiped the floor with us. I was very proud of our "kids." I think they did a superb job holding the score to just 2 Ranger goals. I thought the game overall was very entertaining and quite mild for an Isles Ranger matchup.

Anonymous said...

the comment about his making a save being likened to a toddler finding his mouth with a spoonful of peas is hilarious. greg