Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday the 13th Unlucky for Hillen?


So the bump on my head is still making me fuzzy. I decided to take a mental health day. Or actually "My head is up my ass I'm afraid I'm going to screw something up if I work day."

I have a list a mile long of what to do for this weekend as it is also my wedding anniversary. (And they said it wouldn't last! HA!!!) But for some strange reason, I just insisted on going to Iceworks this morning for practice. The car took me. I don't know why.

As it IS Friday the 13th, I managed to get stuck on Underhill Blvd for about 15 minutes waiting for train gates to work properly as I watched the clock tick by. Practice started at 10:30 am. I didn't get there until almost 11:15 am.

By the time I arrived the boys looked winded. Gordon must be putting them through some much more difficult routines. But what stood out most for me, as I sat down in the cold air, dumping all my accoutrement's on the bleachers, was the loudest comment I've ever heard him make during practice.

"Don't F***ing give up on the play. I'm not going to say it again!" (but he did) "Don't F***ing QUIT!"


Okay then! Something tells me Scott is getting a little more verbal at practice.

I did a double take when I saw Jon Sim on the ice. In all seriousness, I forget he was still on the roster. (And that doesn't even have anything to do with my head trauma.)

I watched Scott take Bailey aside and give him some one on one instructions. They looked encouraging.

And then all of a sudden, Jack Hillen skated out to center ice doubled over. One of the trainers came out after him, but he didn't immediately become upright. I didn't see any blood and he did manage to get to the bench. But he then skated off the ice leaving everyone else to change jerseys and start more line scenarios.

I watched Josh. Do you know he can skate AND chew gum at the same time? I knew the kid is talented.

Since I had arrived late, I knew I wouldn't be there long, and as soon as I saw Josh do an amazing spin-a-rama on his knees to get to the far side of the center circle to stretch out, I knew practice was just about over.

I packed up my crap and headed out. Now, I have a long list of things I need to accomplish before tomorrow.

Thank you to Point Blank's Mr. Botta for signing my copy of "Pride & Passion" that I picked up at the Islanders Team store during their promo. I hope you picked up your copy. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading it in the off season...


Which sadly will start some time around the second week of April.

No comments: