Tuesday, December 1, 2009

From the Net to the Mall

Rick DiPietro signs for fans at the Hicksville Team store tonight from 6:30 - 7:30 pm. The smart ones arrived REALLY early and were right up front. The line snaked around and down towards the Target store. When I walked in the FRONT entrance of the mall, I didn't see anyone and immediately went into a panic.

"Oh no!! Where is everyone? No one knew? How could this happen?"

My fears were unfounded as I walked closer to the store and then saw the FRONT of the line. I couldn't see the back! That was a good sign. Because you know full well that Matt Moulson and Frans Nielsen would be asking Ricky how many autographs HE signed tonight to match it up to what THEY signed just a few weeks ago. Mind you, there was little promotion for this signing other than the website**(and the video board at the barn. Thanks Mary!) which proves that the Islander fans are VERY much attached to the internet. (Like we didn't know that.)



There were no marriage proposals to speak of. Maybe all the young girls on line realize that Rick is already married to a beautiful princess and they don't have a chance. What I did hear were lots of well wishes. What I saw were lots of smiles and lots of jerseys in a line of more than 150 long. (They stopped counting when they ran out of bracelets and didn't have a final count before I left.)

Rick was armed with various color sharpies, water and a Starbucks and the Islanders staff kept the line moving like clockwork. The choreography was exceptional considering the store is about half the size of the one in Massapequa. But considering that this was DiPietro's first fan signing in a VERY, very long time, he looked like he was enjoying getting back into the swing of being visible again.




With all that being said, as this is a blog and I am basically allowed to write whatever the hell I wish, I'd like to take exception to something I saw. Okay, let me put my "fan" hat on for a moment. Indulge me.

There's one in every crowd they tell me. While all of the Islander fans were patiently waiting in line and adhering to the rules set so that ALL the fans could get something signed in the allotted time frame, of course there had to be someone who would make a fuss over things. You know the type: the ones that think money will buy them favor. Okay, so you really think that if you spend enough, you can change the rules? The rules that all the other fans are abiding by? And when you can't get your way, you leave in a huff. Nice example you set for your kid. Good stuff.

1 comment:

Travelchic59 said...

Dee, FYI, DP's appearance was posted on the center ice board at the last home game, so people found out about it if they were at the game too.